Ebeneezer Sally

Despite the fact that I recently called for a boycott of "Christmas" trees and churches that were going to be closed on The Big Day, I have to rescind my demand that no-one call me "Ebeneezer Scrooge."
 
Why? Well, because I've finally decided that the only way to really change anything (in terms of the recent materialistic abuses of Christmas) is to out-and-out BOYCOTT CHRISTMAS. And when I say boycott, I ain't talking halfway. This will call for the following:
 
1. No tree,
2. No presents, and
3. No turkey,
 
 and I challenge any person who considers him- or her-self to be a true Christian to JOIN US!
 
Boycott these practices, which only benefit tree farmers, toy and jewellry companies, and Butterball. I'll bet you can't handle it, it's too ingrained in your way of thinking (especially if you're in the West).
 
But Sally, you might be asking, why the turkey? What did the poor turkey do to you? Well, apart from being dry and tasteless (uh oh, I'm gonna get smacked, now!), nothing. And that's the POINT. It's not ABOUT the turkey.
 
Too many people pull a Martha and end up stressing over the silly things, about "Did we get enough cranberries for the sauce?" and not enough over "Have I laid my heart at the foot of the Cross?".
 
People pay exorbitant prices for updated shipping, so that their loved one might have sparkles in their eyes come Christmas morning.
 
But what about the sparkles in Jesus' eyes? Have we even thought about making Him happy on His own birthday?
 
And don't be telling me that, "Well, Sally, not all people are Christians! We can't expect people who aren't even Christians to focus on Christ's birthday, even if it IS His big day..."
 
Wrong. Lies! We CAN and SHOULD expect this, because Christmas is simply and unequivocally ABOUT HIM.
 
People who don't worship Christ have NO PLACE in Christmas.
 
I know, I know, I'm treading on toes and sounding more like Ebeneezer with every breath.
 
But. When you think about it, I'm merely defending the day that belongs to the One who has so changed my life.
 
Wanna keep the 25th as a national holiday? Fine.
 
Feel compelled to put up a tree and chow down on Stove Top?
 
Go ahead.
 
Just do it on your own time, and remember that Christmas is about CHRIST.
 

Comments

Popular Posts