I Hate "The Industry," And I Don't Care Who Knows It!
By Sally Bishai
(Originally printed on 01/28/2006)
Despite the fact that I have actually provided hundreds of models, artists, and actors with photos to line their portfolios with--which may make me look like the biggest hypocrite in America--I have to tell you something. I HATE THE INDUSTRY.
That's right.
I hope to God that no more television shows are made.
I pray with all my might to never hear another canned-laugh track.
And, if I am forced to ever see one MOMENT of the E! Channel, I will actually kill myself. Or the person holding the remote.
What is the use of watching TV?
Yes, the news is important, and Lifetime Movies are a way of life for some people, but why must people sit around, watching other people's lives go by?
Killing time = getting older. Do you really want to wake up one day knowing John and Marlena's movements better than you know your own? (I hope you don't realise that this example is culled from Days of Our Lives, and hate myself for knowing it.)
For those of you who say, "But Sally, I keep the telly on as background noise while I'm leading my own productive life! Lay off, already!" may I remind you of the fact that you are being sucked into programming and marketing plots that may extend your viewing from 30 minutes or so to 3 or more hours a day.
And, as we all know, having these extraneous things on not only keeps you from your family and friends, but ALSO, keeps you from talking to God.
For some of you who aren't religious or don't have a family or friends, why not spend the time you spend watching or listening to TV in making friends, writing a blog, or talking to God? It won't kill you.
I know, some of you are going to click out of this article right now, thinking that I'm either mad or a liar. But I do practice what I preach; I own 4 televisions (one of which is a 32-inch LCD), and only use them for DVDs and videos that I approve of. (And watching my own documentaries, which is the only reason I bought the LCD in the first place. Really!)
So what's the difference between watching "You've Got Mail!" on TV and on a DVD? A huge one.
The DVD won't encourage you to stay on for another two hours, watching a marathon of "What Not To Wear," it won't subject you to ads (although I love watching ads, which are very like 30-second movies), AND you aren't forced to sit in front of the TV like a drone, fearful of missing a moment; as you may have heard, you can pause a DVD whenever you like.
This is not to even mention a TV viewer's increased chances of being exposed to the blatant immorality and disrespect that are rampant in today's melange of marketing and "sitcoms." Don't worry, I'll leave that for another day.
Anyway, I have so many more thoughts to share on this topic--that of "TV programming as a satanic scourge," but I need to go now; E!'s "True Hollywood Stories” is ending, and "100 Hottest Celebrity Bodies" is starting up!
(Originally printed on 01/28/2006)
Despite the fact that I have actually provided hundreds of models, artists, and actors with photos to line their portfolios with--which may make me look like the biggest hypocrite in America--I have to tell you something. I HATE THE INDUSTRY.
That's right.
I hope to God that no more television shows are made.
I pray with all my might to never hear another canned-laugh track.
And, if I am forced to ever see one MOMENT of the E! Channel, I will actually kill myself. Or the person holding the remote.
What is the use of watching TV?
Yes, the news is important, and Lifetime Movies are a way of life for some people, but why must people sit around, watching other people's lives go by?
Killing time = getting older. Do you really want to wake up one day knowing John and Marlena's movements better than you know your own? (I hope you don't realise that this example is culled from Days of Our Lives, and hate myself for knowing it.)
For those of you who say, "But Sally, I keep the telly on as background noise while I'm leading my own productive life! Lay off, already!" may I remind you of the fact that you are being sucked into programming and marketing plots that may extend your viewing from 30 minutes or so to 3 or more hours a day.
And, as we all know, having these extraneous things on not only keeps you from your family and friends, but ALSO, keeps you from talking to God.
For some of you who aren't religious or don't have a family or friends, why not spend the time you spend watching or listening to TV in making friends, writing a blog, or talking to God? It won't kill you.
I know, some of you are going to click out of this article right now, thinking that I'm either mad or a liar. But I do practice what I preach; I own 4 televisions (one of which is a 32-inch LCD), and only use them for DVDs and videos that I approve of. (And watching my own documentaries, which is the only reason I bought the LCD in the first place. Really!)
So what's the difference between watching "You've Got Mail!" on TV and on a DVD? A huge one.
The DVD won't encourage you to stay on for another two hours, watching a marathon of "What Not To Wear," it won't subject you to ads (although I love watching ads, which are very like 30-second movies), AND you aren't forced to sit in front of the TV like a drone, fearful of missing a moment; as you may have heard, you can pause a DVD whenever you like.
This is not to even mention a TV viewer's increased chances of being exposed to the blatant immorality and disrespect that are rampant in today's melange of marketing and "sitcoms." Don't worry, I'll leave that for another day.
Anyway, I have so many more thoughts to share on this topic--that of "TV programming as a satanic scourge," but I need to go now; E!'s "True Hollywood Stories” is ending, and "100 Hottest Celebrity Bodies" is starting up!
Comments