Another busy week in Egypt:

It started with knife attacks in three Alex churches, then went to riots, then ended with yesterday's Sinai bombing, which killed at least 22 and as many as 40. (The numbers always conflict depending on the source..)
 
In the past few months, other things have also happened in Egypt (and, indeed, the rest of the Middle East) making me think that things are getting worse, and will never get better.
 
I'm talking about the alleged "death list" that came out in the past month, as well as another al-Kosheh riot (17 homes were destroyed, I heard), the arrest and subsequent expulsion (from Al Azhar) of law student and Egyptian blogger Abdelkareem Nabil Soliman, the death threats that have followed the free-thinking Dr Wafa Sultan, several kidnappings, etc.
 
I think that a major reason behind this unrest is the fact that Christians and Muslims in the region are less-than-willing to get along. Why do we have practically no tension of this nature here in America? Probably because people are trying to make a better life for themselves and hold to the whole "live and let live" thing.
 
***Article Truncated. Please Try Again Later.***
 

Comments

Popular Posts