It's a Sin..

You know what I'm talking about...
 
Yes, that's right, the music video of the same name.
 
What possessed you to make such a (dare I call it) spectacle, dear and beloved Pet Shop Boys?
 
And further, who allowed the "video" to be released?
 
I was so astounded to rediscover the, oh, let's call it "decadence" of this video a few minutes ago.
 
Yes, that's right, I'm responding to increasing and rapidly approaching academic, occupational and social deadlines by watching "PopArt: The Greatest Video Hits of the Pet Shop Boys."
 
Don't worry, the housework's done; I just donned a day dress and floated out to the trash compacter to drop some things off, and then dispached a load of darks to Sock Heaven, after which I made quick work of the Silver and China remnants of my most cherished guests.
 
I also blew off an assignment that's due tomorrow in favour of reading a book on genetics (the entire thing, except for the intro, which I read on Monday, whilst avoiding a chapter I was supposed to finish by Tuesday), writing an article that no one asked for, and watching "Calamity Jane" (Doris Day and Howard Keel, 1953).
 
But back to this "Sin," here are some random images from the fracas: A metallically painted-up devil who's raining kisses on a preternaturally large silver disc that has to be masquerading as the entire institution of money, the Boys circling around a campfire burning in the middle of a deserted 80's mansion/Gothic castle, an eerie, staring monk of doom, another monk that looks like the cover model of a gay magazine, a frighteningly-wigged lass who keeps pigging out on rabbit food (ostensibly to depict gluttony), long-haired beastly "angels" who keep yawning (sloth?), a disdainful libertine-Dangerous Liasons dame who looks more constipated than anything, AND the lead singer, grasping inordinately large white candles (to show innocence, mayhap?) whilst chained and mouthing prayers (filmed from a superiour angle, to depict submission on his part... yes, PSB, I'm on to your cinematic tricks!).
 
One thing I've always been happy with is the PSB's choices of women in the videos (despite their heartbreaking inability to act in the least) they represent different races and social classes, but they always have one thing in common--devastating beauty.
 
I happen to think that the large quantities of identical makeup and a healthy dose of false eyelashes are to blame for this beauty, and suspect that I'd think they were mere "moknesas" if I saw them on the street, but at least they look great here.
 
Even the older ones, which PSB are apparently obsessed with, having brought in the whole "poor gigalonic lad-rich platinum blonde aging beauty" theme more than thrice.
 
Ahhh, Pet Shop Boys, how I love your cute accents and cuter eyebrows and unsuccessful attempts to dance in your Proper British Fashion, and that curly bang-ette that keeps falling over Neil's rather unremarkable bank-teller-blue eyes.
 
Uh oh, Dusty Springfield is contorting on the screen.. PSB, WHAT have I done to deserve this??
 

Comments

Popular Posts